October is the start of fall for many of us (at least in the northern hemisphere), and thus, a month of decreasing sunshine and warmth, while darkness and cold creeps upon us.
Its no surprise many of us want to escape somewhere with warm weather for that last piece of sunny paradise of the year, before we brace ourselves for the long cold autumn and winter months.
Some of us however, prefer to travel to holiday destinations nearer the Equator in October because its cooler with a climate that’s much more comfortable, rather than in the peak summer months when it’s scorching hot.
Here I’ve put together a post of the Best Places to Visit in October 2023 – featuring the top 10 sunshine destinations, the cheapest places you can visit on under $30 a day, a list of countries and their average daytime temperatures, and finally a compilation of the best places you can visit, based on the above factors.
With countries slowly opening its borders again, eager to kickstart their fledgling tourism sectors, now is a good time to book that perfect October vacation (on that flexible cancellation ticket, obviously).
Table of Contents
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click and/or make a purchase, I receive a commission. Don’t worry, this is at no extra cost to you. 🙂 Thank you for your support!
Best Places to Visit in October 2023
Where is still hot in October?
While most European countries are already cold and dark come October (with the exception of the Greek islands and the Med in general), there are plenty of places around the world that are sunny and warm all year round, while in the Southern Hemisphere its warming up as summer approaches.
The best places with plenty of tourist attractions and hot weather in October are in Central and South America, Africa, south and southeast Asia, and Oceania.
Take India – it starts to cool down in the north (though not cold), and is hot in the south. Southeast Asia meanwhile, sees their monsoon season come to an end in October, so is quite hot and humid.
Below is a list of warm regions with their average daytime temperatures, hours of sunshine, humidity levels and wind speeds:
The Mediterranean: 73.7F (23.2C)
7.5 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 24% / Wind: 9mph
The Middle East: 93.2F (34C)
11 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 24% / Wind: 9mph
Africa: 84F (29C)
12 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 60% / Wind: 10mph
Southeast Asia: 89.6F (32C)
9 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 55% / Wind: 6mph
Central America: 91F (33C)
11 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 78% / Wind: 8mph
Oceania: 75.2F (24C)
8 hours sunshine per day / Humidity: 65% / Wind: 7mph
Where is good for sun in October?
Here’s a list of all the best places to visit in October for sun:
#8 Algarve – Average October daytime temperature: 73.7F (23.2C)
Situated on the southernmost region of mainland Portugal, the Algarve has more sunshine per year than California.
#7 Rio de Janeiro – Average October daytime temperature: 79F (26C)
Famous for its stunning beaches and the world’s largest Carnival, Brazil’s former capital, Rio, is the country’s second-largest city, situated off Brazil’s Atlantic coast.
#6 Gran Canaria – Average October daytime temperature: 79.5F (26.4C)
The most popular of the Canary islands, Gran Canaria has 147 miles of stunning coastline and 60 miles of golden beaches. Being warm, sunny and dry, with warm 71F (22C) seas and rarely any rainfall, makes it the perfect place to relax in October.
#5 Paphos – Average October daytime temperature: 80F (26.7C)
Paphos is situated on the southwest coast of Cyprus – the third largest island in the Mediterranean. With 10 hours of sunshine and warm 75F (24C) seas, Cyprus remains hot in October and is the perfect month for water sports.
#4 Koh Samui – Average October daytime temperature: 86F (30C)
One of Thailand’s most loved tourist spots, Koh Samui has a very tropical climate like the rest of the country, has very warm seas at 84.2F (29C), and you can expect at least 6 hours of sunshine each day in October.
#3 Marrakech – Average October daytime temperature: 82.9F (28.3C)
A city with a wealth of history and culture, exotic palaces and gardens, and mystic souks and medinas, makes Marrakech one of the most sought-after destinations in the modern tourist age. Marrakech still sees 8 hours of sunshine with very minimal rain and clouds.
How hot is Greece in October?
The average max temperature in Greece is 24C (75F) (average precipitation 53mm). October ushers in cold winds in northern and central Greece mainland, with the temperature falling to 21C (70F), averaging at 16C (61F) and nights are typically cool, dipping to 11C (52F).
#2 The Maldives – Average October temperature: 86F (30C)
This island nation sits in the Indian Ocean where the sea temperature is 82.4F (28C) in this month, perfect for water sports and diving with Manta rays. The wet season finishes in October, though you can still expect high temperatures and plenty of sunshine.
#1 Cancun – Average October daytime temperature: 91F (32.9C)
Mexico’s Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula in general cools down to 90F (32C) in October, making it a very appealing tourist spot with the perfect combination of warm seas and hot weather.
Temperatures Worldwide: How hot will it be in October?
- West Coast US – Los Angeles: 69.8F (21C)
- East Coast US – New York City: 57.2F (14C)
- Southern US – Orlando: 84.6F (29C)
- Canada – Toronto: 51.8F (11C)
- Mexico – Yucatan: 91F (32.9C)
- The Caribbean – Cuba: 80.6C (27C)
- Brazil – Rio de Janeiro: 79F (26C)
- Argentina – Buenos Aires: 64.4C (18C)
- Bolivia – La Paz: 60.8F (16C)
- Colombia – Bogota: 62.6F (17C)
- Peru – Cusco: 69.8F (21C)
- Chile – Santiago: 73.4F (23C)
- Middle East – Dubai: 98.6F (37C)
- Central Asia – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan: 57.2F (14C)
- Russia – Moscow: 41F (5C)
- India – Delhi: 84.2F (29C)
- Sri Lanka – Colombo: 89.6F (32C)
- China – Beijing: 66.2F (19C)
- Hong Kong: 79F (26C)
- Japan – Tokyo: 68F (20C)
- Taiwan – Taipei: 75.2F (24C)
- Korea – Seoul: 55.4F (13C)
- Philippines – Manila: 87.8F (31C)
- Vietnam – Hanoi: 77F (25C)
- Thailand – Bangkok: 87.8F (31C)
- Myanmar – Bagan: 89.6F(32C)
- Malaysia & Singapore: 89.6F (32C)
- Indonesia – Bali: 89.6F (32C)
Oceania & Pacific:
- Australia – Sydney: 73F (22.7C)
- New Zealand – Auckland: 59F (15C)
- Polynesia – Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji, French Polynesia: 75.2F (24C)
- UK – London: 55.4F (13C)
- France – Paris: 53.6F (12C)
- Germany – Berlin: 55.4F (13C)
- Denmark – Copenhagen: 50F (10C)
- Austria – Vienna: 57.2F (14C)
- Switzerland – Basel: 55.4F (13C)
- Poland – Warsaw: 55.4F (13C)
- Portugal – Algarve region: 73.7F (23.2C)
- Spain – Madrid: 59F (15C)
- Italy – Rome: 72.3F (22.4C)
- Greece – Athens: 66.2F (19C)
- Turkey – Istanbul: 60.8F (16C)
- The Mediterranean – Balearics, Cyprus, Malta, Crete, Sicily: 79F (26C)
- Norway – Oslo: 44.6F (7C)
- Sweden – Stockholm: 46.4F (8C)
- Finland – Helsinki: 43.8F (6.6C)
- Iceland – Reykjavik: 39.2F (4C)
- Eastern Europe – Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria: 42.8F (6C)
- The Canary Islands – Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife: 79.5F (26.6C)
- The Balkans – Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro: 62.6F (17C)
- Baltic States – Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania: 44.6F (7C)
- Egypt – Sharm El Sheikh: 82.4F (28C)
- Morocco – Marrakech: 82.9F (28.3C)
- Tunisia – Tunis: 82.4F (28C)
- Algeria – Algiers: 77F (25C)
- Kenya – Nairobi: 77F (25C)
- Ethiopia – Addis Ababa: 73.4F (23C)
- Tanzania – Dar es Salaam: 86F (30C)
- Madagascar – Antananarivo: 80.6F (27C)
- South Africa – Cape Town: 82.4F (28C)
- Senegal – Dakar: 86F (30C)
- Ghana – Accra: 84.2F (29C)
Cheapest places to go in October (under $30 a day)
The following countries are among the cheapest countries you can visit on less than $30 a day.
Source: daily costs aggregated and averaged from thousands of real travelers on Budget Your Trip
1. Cambodia – Daily Average: $13 (budget), $34 (mid-range)
2. Vietnam – Daily Average: $15 (budget), $40 (mid-range)
3. India – Daily Average: $10 (budget), $30 (mid-range)
Budget Tip: enjoy FREE food and accommodation in India! Yep, you can use coach surfing in India, and there are homestays in places like Amritsar, that provide free stay and food. If you visit the Golden Temple there, they serve free food all day long.
4. Laos – Daily Average: $11 (budget), $28 (mid-range)
5. Sri Lanka – Daily Average: $13 (budget), $37 (mid-range)
6. Serbia – Daily Average: $10 (budget), $23 (mid-range)
7. Georgia – Daily Average: $6 (budget), $16 (mid-range)
Georgia costs less than 10 US Dollars a day!
8. Armenia – Daily Average: $8 (budget), $19 (mid-range)
Armenia also costs less than 10 US Dollars a day!
9. Bolivia – Daily Average: $11 (budget), $27 (mid-range)
10. Mexico – Daily Average: $19 (budget), $52 (mid-range)
11. Morocco – Daily Average: $17 (budget), $41 (mid-range)
12. Ethiopia – Daily Average: $13 (budget), $38 (mid-range)
Where is it cheaper to fly in October?
Here’s the top cheap flight fares from the US in October (according to Skyscanner):
- Los Angeles to London: $527 return
- Los Angeles to Vancouver: £231 return
- Miami to Cancun: £172 return
- Miami to Madrid: $471 return
There are several countries around Europe that require a bigger daily budget than Asian destinations, but have surprisingly cheap air fares.
You can fly within Europe for as low as $30 return, to cities like Amsterdam, Lisbon, Sofia, Vienna, and Bratislava. I once booked a return flight to Belgrade from London costing just $18. That said, these cities are quite cold in October, which is one reason for the cheaper air fares.
Jack’s Flight Club scours the internet for the cheapest fares including discounts and hidden offers, and error fares. Click here to get all the latest alerts and emails on the cheapest flight deals to anywhere in the world.
Annual Festivals & Events in October
Below is a list of the major festivals and events that happen every October, all around the world:
Oktoberfest – 16th September til 3rd October 2023
(Related event: National Kale Day on 6th October)
Commonly Asked Questions
Is it OK to go to the Caribbean in October?
Fall season is hurricane season in the Caribbean, so depending on whereabouts you go, it can be a nice vacation at best, or at worst, it can be a dangerous place to visit. Trinidad and Tobago are excellent autumn destinations in October, with clear days, warm temperatures, and a dry spell in the early part of the month.
Where should I go for a beach vacation in October?
Here’s my recommendations for the top beach destinations:
- Aruba (Dutch Caribbean)
- Costa Rica (Central America)
- Bora Bora (French Polynesia)
- Bonnaire (Dutch Caribbean)
- Hawaii (US)
- Fiji (Oceania)
- Tahiti (French Polynesia)
- Curacao (Dutch Caribbean)
Book Your Trip: Budget Tips & Tricks
Accommodation: I use Booking to find fantastic cheap stays with free cancellation options.
Travel Insurance: Stay protected from theft, injury, illness, and cancellations. A safety net in case anything goes wrong, I never leave without it. World Nomads is my favourite agent for total peace of mind.
Head over to my Travel Tools page for all my best travel tips & advice and everything you need for your trip.
- For more tips and traveling on a budget, head over to: How To Quickly Save $1000 For Travel (10 Easy Steps)