Welcome to my first ever blog post!
To kick start my travel blog, this entry aims to give you an idea of who I am, my background, and what I do / hobbies etc.
Here’s a list of 10 facts about me:
10 Facts About Me
- My name is Billy, I’m 33 years old, and currently living in my hometown of Walsall, England.
- I’m a freelance designer, having graduated from university in Graphic Design. I was uncertain what path to take after school, but ended up going down the design route. It’s been okay, I do the occasional project and I sell work online to earn royalties. But it’s not my biggest passion.
- I’m also a freelance dance teacher and performing artist. This is what I enjoy doing the most. It’s enabled me to express myself more, and is one of the reasons I’ve been able to travel the world, in fact this is the reason I began travelling in the first place – and because of dance, I have been blessed to travel and meet some of the most wonderful people I could ever wish to meet. I am thankful to all those who came into my life through my workshops and dance performances (if only for a short time), and I have so much love for them all.
- Since August 2020, I’ve been helping my wife run an online store on Etsy called Vintage Wanders – selling vintage furniture and home decor. It started as a hobby, and is now a successful business, and we’ve been amazed by how big its grown.
- I’m registered profoundly deaf. This means I have around 70% hearing loss in both ears and sometimes use aids to help me hear. (I say sometimes because a: I like my peace and quiet and b: I’m not keen on the new hearing aids the hospital has provided me.) Also, I’m bilingual – so I’m able to communicate in speech and in British Sign Language, as well as in other sign languages. However, I cannot always hear what people say – I have to rely on lip-reading most of the time, and I cannot hear on the phone.
- My dream is to travel the world whilst having a regular income that keeps me abroad and on the move, without the need to be tied down to a work schedule in one location. I’m working on making this a reality.
- I am a MASSIVE Michael Jackson fan. I love the magic of his performances. I taught myself all his dance moves and choreography, and became a Michael Jackson impersonator. This was how I started down my career path in dance.
- Coffee – I have an obsession with really good coffee. I love the process of making that perfect brew – from grinding the beans, boiling the moka pot, and savouring the rich aroma. I am always on the search for the freshest, most delicious brew! (Also, I cannot deal with weak or low-quality coffee).
- I don’t watch films or series often, as I tend to lose patience with them. I have a habit of starting a film, watching to about halfway before pausing and then going to bed. And then I don’t get back to finishing the rest of the film until about a week later! However, I do like a few really good classics like Leon, Scarface, and Saving Private Ryan, I love box sets like Lord Of The Rings (not too keen on Harry Potter though – prefer the books), and I’m a HUGE Star Wars fan. I also love the Peaky Blinders.
- My hobbies include photography, drawing, listening to music, the gym, and reading world history.
Thanks for reading!
Head over to my blog: Why Do I Travel for more on how I became obsessed with travelling the world
Also, you can read about about my first true travel experience here:
Believe in yourself. Lack of confidence leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy that you are not good enough for your work.